Thursday, July 24, 2008

OSCON: Larry Wall is boring

I don't say this lightly. Though I currently work in python, perl was one of my first loves and I'll always have a soft spot in my heart (and head) for it. This is my 4th OSCON and the 4th time I've seen Larry give his state of the onion address. And until tonight they have always been a highlight. Don't get me wrong, they aren't as insanely clever as Damian or deliciously scholarly like r0ml, but they have a definite low key humor and fun that is contagious no matter your language.

But tonight he bored my socks off. Actually, that's not true. Looking down I do in fact seem to be wearing my socks. But he just gave a straight forward technical speech. No whimsy. No screensavers for slides. No magick (sp?) the gathering cards. Just straight technology.

It was really weird. I almost left early but I hung in until the end because I wanted to see if there would be some crazy grand finale.

But nothing.

Oh, well, maybe it's hard to be whimsical when your pet project is so far overdue.

No comments: